What is and What Are Ways to Prepare For Natural Disasters?
What are Natural Disasters?
Dramatic weather can be quite exciting to witness from afar, but when it hits too close to home, it can quickly turn very scary, not to mention dangerous.
Storms come in many different types and they are classified as severe natural disruptions or phenomena that cause the weather to drastically change. This includes blizzards as well as ice storms and also hurricanes and tornadoes. Since weather disasters can quickly spiral out of control, everyone should be properly prepared for and knowledgeable about them. When an entire community or region is affected, it takes a great coordinated effort to see it through and highly trained individuals often make a bad situation bearable.
Hurricanes are extremely violent storms that typically feature incredibly strong and fast winds. Very often, hurricanes can also bring on lightning, thunder and torrential rain. The strength of the winds can easily cause major damage to natural and man-made structures. It often results in human deaths when people are unprepared. News and weather stations put out alerts when a hurricane is predicted for a certain area. Pay attention to these warnings and heed their advice. In some cases, they may suggest evacuation, so make the necessary travel arrangements in advance. Keep a stock of food and water, as well as any important belongings in a safe place where they won't be affected by the storm.
- How Hurricanes Form – Learn how different air pressures and temperatures cause a hurricane.
- Understanding Hurricanes – Get an in-depth look at tropical storms and how they are classified.
- Beaches and Hurricanes – Immense waves and high winds can wreak havoc on beaches, as well as anyone in the area!
- Coping with a Hurricane – Find out the correct procedures to follow before, during and after a hurricane.
- Preventing Damage During a Hurricane – There is a lot of work to be done to prepare for a hurricane so start early and ask friends or family to help out.
- Protecting the Home – Board up windows and remove loose or damaged trees and branches as some of the steps to help protect your home.
- How Hurricanes Progress – See how hurricanes gradually develop and grow and learn how to stay safe from them.
Earthquakes occur when massive plates below the Earth's surface brush against each other in opposite directions, or due to powerful explosions deep within the Earth. Even a low-scale earthquake can be quite alarming when people suddenly find the ground trembling and objects indoors swaying or falling. As we have seen throughout history, strong earthquakes have the power to destroy large areas of land, buildings and lives.
- Tracking Earthquakes – Get the latest updates on earthquakes that are occurring in real-time around the world.
- An Introduction to Earthquakes – Learn all about how exactly earthquakes occur and how we predict them.
- Types of Earthquakes – There are three main types of earthquakes: explosion, tectonic, and volcanic.
- Getting Ready Before an Earthquake – If an earthquake hits, it is wise to have a pre-determined plan with the family, as well as a safe meeting place in case anyone is separated.
The large, twisting coil of air mixed with dirt and debris is an unmistakable sight anywhere. Tornadoes are formed when warm, wet air from low levels mixes with cooler and dryer air at higher levels. Tornadoes are responsible for a high number of injuries and deaths in the U.S. each year and it is vital to be properly safeguarded against them. The best form of defense is to monitor weather channels and start preparations as early as possible. If outdoors, head for cover if the sky takes on a dark or slightly green hue, or if large, low clouds seem to be slowly spinning.
- What to Do During a Tornado – Learn how to proceed when trapped indoors, at work or school, outdoors or in a car during a tornado.
- Tornado Guidelines and Rules – Review these safety rules with your family to ensure that everyone knows what to do in the event of a tornado.
- Tornado Safety Tips – Find out how to survive in various tornado situations.
- A Safety Checklist for Tornadoes (PDF) – Print off this list and keep it on hand to refer to when a tornado watch or warning has been issued for your area.
- Tornado Myths and Safety Tips – Be prepared for a potential tornado by reviewing these safety tips and facts.
- Steps to Prepare for a Tornado – Learn how to minimize indoor hazards and how to make special arrangements for family members with special needs or disabilities.
During a blizzard, strong winds mix with heavy snowfall to create a dangerous condition called a whiteout. It is incredibly hard to see, even within a short distance in this case. People traveling or even walking outdoors can quickly find themselves lost or disoriented. If they cannot find their way back indoors in time, they can easily run the risk of frostbite or hypothermia.
- What Are Blizzards? – Find out how blizzards are formed, where they occur and the hazards they pose.
- A Guide to Blizzards – Get some quick facts and information about blizzards and how to detect them.
- Blizzard Preparation Guidebook (PDF) – Become familiar with weather terminology relating to winter storms and blizzards and find out how to be properly prepared.